For some headaches, a Physiotherapist can be just the answer you are looking for. The Cornerstone Physiotherapy Clinic in North York is situated amongst a large group of office building where people are working away on computers for hours on end. So it is no surprise that we see a lot of patients who are looking for relief from headaches.
Headache is a symptom that comes in many forms and has many causes. Your Physiotherapist can assess you to determine if your headaches are the type that are likely to respond to physiotherapy treatment.
The type of headaches that respond well to Physiotherapy are called Cervicogenic Headaches (meaning headaches that are caused by the joints of your neck). These headaches present in a variety of ways but if your pain includes any of the following it is worth having a consult with one of our Physiotherapists:
- Pain that typically is absent or low intensity in the morning, but gets worse as the day goes on.
- Pain that gets worse the longer you sit still (particularly in poor posture like working on a laptop, or driving).
- Pain that typically effects one side of your head and does not flip from one side to the other.
- Headache combined with neck stiffness or pain at the base of your skull that progresses to include a headache.
Some signs that your headache may not be cervicogenic:
- The headache is proceeded by an “Aura”
- If you can predict the headache because of changes in the weather or foods that you eat.
- If the headache “has a pulse” or you would describe it as “pounding”
If these describe your pain, it is best to start looking for help by consulting your physician.
For patients who are found to have cervicogenic headaches, physiotherapy is typically very effective. By restoring normal mobility to the joints of your upper neck, fixing postural habits and strengthening muscles that support your upper neck, your physiotherapist is usually able to reduce if not eliminate cervicogenic headaches within a few visits. A registered massage therapist can also help to deal with some muscular trigger points that may have developed as you were suffering.
Headaches can be debilitating. They reduce your quality of life and your productivity. If you get regular headaches, give us a call and one of our Physiotherapists can assess your problem to determine if we can help. Click here for the contact information for our North York Physiotherapy Clinic.